Search the Landmarks:

1. Eucalyptus Deanei Tree 1. Eucalyptus Deanei Tree
522 24th St.

Eucalyptus Deanei Tree - late July 2004
This tree was planted in the 1920s by Hugh Evans.

Another view

Eucalyptus Deanei, New Zealand Southland. courtesy of Milligan Seeds and Trees

This majestic Eucalyptus deanei tree is the tallest and most massive specimen in the country. Although eucalyptus trees were originally imported from Australia, their presence in Southern California has been well documented since the late 1800s. Santa Monica has a long history of planting, retaining and studying Eucalyptus trees and is featured in the book "Eucalyptus Cultivated in the United States" (c) 1902.

This species of Mountain blue gum is native in two distinct places, both of which are in Australia: the first location is central New South Wales in the valleys of the Blue Mountains of Sydney; the second location is in south-eastern Queensland. Its normal growth pattern is straight, tall and fast. The bark is a cream or dark gray color and sheds in plates, strips and ribbons to expose new colors of gray, fawn and yellow. Juvenile leaves are almost rounded (which is why it's sometimes referred to as a round-leaved gum). Adult leaves are shaped like a lance. It is the dominant species in the Blue Gum forest and Blue Gum Swamp.

Santa Monica's landmark Eucalyptus deanei (Deane's Gum), is one of the rarest trees in town. At an estimated age of 90 years old, it is also one of the tallest trees in Santa Monica -> the top of this the tree can be seen from 4 blocks away. The Santa Monica Community Forester estimated its height to be more than 100 feet and its trunk diameter at 65", giving the tree a circumference 17'5" around. Records show the tree has been carefully maintained and moderately pruned, allowing this particularly fine specimen of this eucalyptus species to grow naturally, without having to endure such treatments as topping, flush cuts, root pruning or pesticide applications.

The report to the Santa Monica Landmarks Commission notes, that both "Exceptional Trees of Los Angeles" and "Trees of Santa Monica" have confirmed, that this tree was planted in the 1920s by Hugh Evans. Mr Evans was a well-known Santa Monica Horticulturist in the early part of the 20th century. He was the proprietor of Evans Rare Plant Garden in Santa Monica and was well regarded in the field of tree care. Mr. Evans spoke at the first annual Western Shade Tree conference, held in 1934 at the Miles Playhouse in Santa Monica.

At the 1934 conference, Mr. Evans was critical of the fact that large old trees were being removed even then and emphasized the importance of retaining old growth trees. He further elaborated on the value of the Eucalyptus tree in the landscape, and discussed the advantages and limitations of new ornamental varieties then starting to be imported from Western Australia.

The conference was held in large part due to the efforts of Ed Scanlon, the City Forrester for the City of Santa Monica and Mayor William H. Carter, a supporter of City tree planting programs, who gave the opening address. The Western Shade Tree Conference eventually evolved into the western chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA). The ISA is considered to be the premier organization in the field of Arboriculture.